Laboratory of Hydrophysics
Main activities are:
- Investigating the physical foundations of the formation of runoff in river basins, bogs, organic and mineral soils:
- Heat and mass-exchanging process at infiltration of meltwater in frozen soil, formation of water-absorbing capacity of soils, and moisture migration in winter and autumn periods.
- Formation and melting of snow cover.
- Process of moisture evaporation from different underlying surfaces.
- Developing mathematical models of soil freezing, moisture migration to the freezing front, infiltration of meltwater, forming and melting of the snow cover, and evaporation from soil and snow.
- Studying the formation of river runoff during changing climatic characteristics and the development of appropriate mathematical models.
- Developing methods and assessments of water-physical and thermal characteristics of organic and mineral soils necessary for the mathematical modelling of hydro-physical processes.
- Studying hydro-ecological processes and dissemination of pollutants in rivers, river basins and wetlands.
- Investigating conditions for the formation of blocking phenomena in rivers and the development methods for forecasting blocking.
- Providing scientific and methodological guidance for monitoring evaporation from water surface, snow and soil.
- Implementing contractual works on the basis of hydro-physical research in key areas of the laboratory.